The Field Experience (FE) is an internship with a community organization or government agency with the purpose of gaining first-hand public health experience. Partners orient students to their organizations mission and operations and have students assist or lead in projects that meet the needs of their organization and the population(s) served. Dependent on interests and concentrations, FE Projects can be done domestically with our community partners or internationally through the Center for Global Health
Field Experience Documents:
Students completing the Field Experience during the current academic year must submit their assignments through CANVAS.
Please contact the MPH Professional Experience Committee with any questions or concerns regarding the Field Experience.
- Fall 2016 MD/MPH, PhD/MPH and Part-Time/MPH Students
- Spring 2017 Accelerated Students
- Fall 2017 MD/MPH, PhD/MPH and Part-Time/MPH Students
Past Field Experience Projects Include:
- Community health screenings and interventions with the Diabetes Empowerment Center in Humboldt Park
- Development of a needs-assessment for the Erie Family Health Teen Center in five different Chicago neighborhoods by conducting focus groups, interviews and evaluation of other youth programs.
- Designing a culturally-relevant curriculum for Kindergarteners in Quito, Ecuador to combat risk factors leading to obesity and heart-disease.
- Facilitating student-led discussions on non-violent relationships and safe sex as part of Chicago Youth Program’s work with students on the south side of Chicago.
- Implementing a data collection plan to identify high-needs students within Chicago Public Schools for program outreach/enrollment by Chicago Department of Public Health
For information on our sites, please visit our community partners page